All rights reserved. Coastal Talent 2023
Requirements for Headshots
- Commercial shot: a happy conservative look is used for commercials, print and industrials.
- Theatrical shot: an interesting, often sly look is used for film and television.
- NOTE * If only going with one look, use a “middle of the road” look.
- Headshots must be in color
- Portrait (vertical) orientation is preferred over landscape (horizontal) orientation
- Females over age 13 should use a make-up artist
- No jewelry, except small stud earrings
- Wear a solid shirt or sweater; no turtlenecks, logos, stripes, or prints
- Females must show length of hair; do not hide hair down your back
- Do not cut off top of head; we must see your whole head
- Pick interesting background lighting, not just a solid wall
- Background should be slightly out of focus; can be outside or inside shot
- No shadows on the face at all
- No gums showing; practice in mirror if this is a habit for you
- Take some headshots with teeth showing and some without
- If you wear glasses and do not have contacts, you must wear your glasses in headshot
Hard Copies of Headshots
You will need to get your primary theatrical headshot reproduced to bring with you to all in person auditions and callbacks. Your headshot should be 8” x 10” size with your resume also trimmed to 8” x 10” size and neatly stapled to the back, facing out. Headshots can be reproduced on photograph or lithograph paper. The choice is yours, although lithograph is often less expensive. We recommend you order your headshots in a matte finish. We also recommend portrait (vertical) orientation of your headshots. Most Casting Directors prefer portrait over landscape orientation as well. Headshots with borders are most common. However; headshots without borders (called “full bleed”) are acceptable.
- A&I (Los Angeles) http://www.aandi.com/
- Photoscan (Orlando) www.photoscanonline.com
- Reproductions (NY & LA) www.reproductions.com (use rough border style #1 or #5)
- The On Line Photo Shop (Los Angeles) www.theonlinephotoshop.com
- The Pixel Pusher (Atlanta) www.thepixelpusher.biz/