Requirements for Headshots
- Commercial shot: a happy conservative look is used for commercials, print and industrials.
- Theatrical shot: an interesting, often sly look is used for film and television.
- NOTE * If only going with one look, use a “middle of the road” look.
- Headshots must be in color
- Portrait (vertical) orientation is preferred over landscape (horizontal) orientation
- Females over age 13 should use a make-up artist
- No jewelry, except small stud earrings
- Wear a solid shirt or sweater; no turtlenecks, logos, stripes, or prints
- Females must show length of hair; do not hide hair down your back
- Do not cut off top of head; we must see your whole head
- Pick interesting background lighting, not just a solid wall
- Background should be slightly out of focus; can be outside or inside shot
- No shadows on the face at all
- No gums showing; practice in mirror if this is a habit for you
- Take some headshots with teeth showing and some without
- If you wear glasses and do not have contacts, you must wear your glasses in headshot